Friday, September 12, 2008

Let My People Go

I am living a real life Bible story, except I'm on the wrong side. I'm not sure who Moses is, but Joel and I are Pharoh and the Egyptians.

So far this year we have lived through ants, camel crickets, and mice (see previous blog)--and now we have flies. Not kidding. I wrote the post just yesterday about mice and then I came home to a house filled with flies. Well, I guess I wasn't really alarmed at first. When I came home 17 flies (ha! yes, I counted) were crawling around on the living room window, but I opened the window and shewed them out--done deal. I went to the gym, made dinner, did some bookkeeping and then went upstairs to take a shower. When I stepped out of the shower I noticed I forgot to get a towel and went to get one out of the hall closet. [Insert shreiking girl noise here.] Swarming. Yes, swarming flies everywhere! On my bed sheets, on my pillow, circling the lights, crawling on walls and windows. I called Joel immediately, who of course, had all the windows down in the car and had the radio blasting so he didn't hear his phone. Not that he knew what to do. When I talked with the landlord a few minutes later he said the same thing happened to them and it lasted a week. (You mean I've got to deal with this for a whole stinkin' week!) All they could do was put up fly paper and vacuum up the pests. So when Joel got home a few minutes later that's what we did. Luckily we were able to attract them all to just one room by shutting off lights and leaving only one on. We should have been counting how many we caught, but I'd say 50 to 75 is a pretty good estimate. Joel took the lead with the vacuum hose and I followed behind carrying the the vacuum cleaner wherever he needed it. I was so scared to go to sleep last night because I was sure I would suck down a few flies myself. Unfortunately, I don't think this is over yet.

So I'm not sure exactly what the Lord is trying to tell us. Maybe after I'm done battling a few more flies tonight it may be time for some good introspection and scripture reading so I can prevent the tempests and the storms from coming next.

6 comments:

Sierra said...

Your blog has officially been added to my feed, so never fear. My computer is watching you... So we have flies in Lehi because I live in FARM COUNTRY. But the most I get with opening the door and what not is five at a time. Where did they get in? And the gall of those mice to use your piano like that!

Sierra said...

oh yeah, and you realize this means you have to read my blog too. Remember? It's tyandsierra@blogspot.com

Nicole said...

Oh... my... goodness! That's hilarious and horrifying all at once. Crazy!! I think it's a clear sign for you to come back to GA. But that's a very selfish interpretation. My brother and his girlfriend are in town and I'd love for them to meet you. Sad that it can't happen. We need to talk and break the silly phone tag habit. I'll try again when I get a chance. Love you!

Keely & Joel said...

I'm okay with the "go back to Georgia" sign. I really miss Atlanta. Sorry I keep missing you on the phone! I miss you too!

Oh, and Sierra, don't worry, I've been looking at your blog almost every day for two months--I guess I should start commenting so everyone knows how loved you are:)

Heather S. said...

muwhahahahaha... here I am... one of your stalkers. You know- I can't even remember how I found your blog. I think you must've commented on someone elses blog... all i have to say is EW GROSS.

Faith said...

I really, really know how you feel! I don't know if you remember, but in Florida, we had to throw out furniture and move b/c of bedbugs but they followed us to the next apartment. Had to throw out EVERYTHING then. Moved to Alabama and had fruitflies, mice (they liked Bruce's snickers) and a major roach problem (had them sprayed every 2 weeks the whole time we lived there). I am deathly afraid of roaches--made Bruce sleep with the light on most nights. I felt like I was in hell. Glad that's over:) Sorry you're having to deal with it! Enjoy your blog though. Sierra's right--blogging is the 'in' thing now. You were a nerd before you started a blog--now you're ok:)